Senior Legal Officer, (ES0097) Reporting to the General Counsel, the officer will provide legal services to the Authority on matters of litigation, land/ property document perfection, contracts and other transactions that have legal implications to effectively mitigate the Authority’s exposure.
- Support the provision of ongoing legal and regulatory advisory for operational and investment-specific matters across the organisation.
- Support the provision of advice of a general nature on labour, current legislation on tax, finance, investment and other matters that are relevant to the functions and objectives of the Authority.
- Assist with managing relationships with external solicitors and arbitrators.
- Monitor, report and advise on litigation claims and ensure minimal damage is sustained by the Authority.
- Support Interactions with relevant regulatory authorities on behalf of the NSIA and provide backstopping in all meetings with MDAs and other stakeholders on legal matters relating to the operation of NSIA or prospective investments.
- Use of world class standards of governance, business integrity, and environmental and social stewardship including support for Know-YourCustomer and Anti-Money Laundering procedures, and reputational management
- Draft and or review NSIA policies, guidelines, frameworks, communications, contracts as well as legal documentation to which NSIA is a party prior to the General Counsel’s review/sign off.
- Assist in the provision of general sector and investment support where applicable, drawing on international experience and effective practice
- Assist with legal document retention, storage and custody.
- Any other responsibility as shall be assigned by the General Counsel or Executive Management from time to time.
Qualifications, Experience and Attributes:
- A good first degree in Law (L.L.B. and B.L.) and qualified to practice in Nigeria. Relevant professional and postgraduate qualification(s) will be an advantage.
- A minimum of ten (10) years relevant experience, four (4) of which must have been at a strategic management level.
- Good knowledge and understanding of the Nigerian legal system.
- Excellent written and oral communication, negotiation and relationship management skills.
- Political savvy, maturity and tact, including the ability to relate with different levels of authority within the legal sphere.
- Demonstrated commitment to ethical standards and high level of integrity.