- Kano Solar Project
- Federal Government of Nigeria
- Kano State Government
- Kumbotso Local Government
Commencement Date / Closure Date / Completion Date
- Q4 2022
Project Location (Region or State):
- Kano State
NSIA was appointed by the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, in a letter dated December 12, 2018, to assume the role of Funds and Project Manager for the development and construction of a 10MW FGN/Kano Solar Project.
NSIA was tasked with the responsibility of:
- Creating a special purpose vehicle (“SPV”) - Haske Solar Company Ltd - with the following ownership structure: Federal Government of Nigeria with 80%, Kano State Government with 15% and Kumbotso Local Government with 5%.
- Undertaking project development activities (including environmental impact assessment, basic engineer and designs of the plant, load flow studies, energy yield studies, geo-technical & physical studies, legal contracting).
- Procurement of a construction and operations contractor.
- Construction of the plant.
- Operationalization of the Project.
Benefits / Impact (Social, Economic & Others):
|Job creation||The project is expected to create at least 500 direct and indirect jobs across the construction and operational phases of the project.|
|Access to clean energy||Solar power is one of the cleanest, most sustainable and environmentally friendly sources of energy. The 10MW plant will augment the existing supply from the grid.|
|Spur growth||The availability of steady power can spur socio-economic growth in the immediate area, as well as the state as a whole.|
|Increase the revenue base of the state||An increase in economic activity, driven by sufficient power, will provide the state with added internally generated revenues in the form of taxes and other levies.|
|Model for replication||The successful implementation and operation of this solar plant will form a template for other similar projects across the country.|
Project Cost / Size:
- $15 million
- 100% equity funding
- NSIA were appointed as Funds and Project Manager for the development and construction of a 10MW FGN/Kano Solar Project by the presidency